Mr. Anderson’s Syllabus for Recent U.S. History (RUSH)
Welcome to R.U.S.H and a new year at MCHS!
I am big believer that in order to actively learn you must be active!! So with that being said I would like for us to go beyond the realm of regular learning and become Social Practioners. In this class I hope to allow you this opportunity, however this is completely up to you. If you abide by the rules and procedures we will be an active class. I enjoy teaching through activity and I hope we can make this happen!
Rules, Consequences, Procedures
1. Be Respectful
2. Speak Appropriately
3. Think Solutions
4. Work with a Passion
6. Cell Phones used only when directed
There are consequences for all actions, both positive and negative. If you break rules in this class there will be negative consequences. Here are the negative consequences in no particular order.
2. Teacher Detention
The use of procedures and proper organization is an important aspect of any classroom. The classroom procedures that are outlined should allow you to never have a question as to what you should be doing or how you should be going about something in class. We will practice these procedures repeatedly until they are second nature. By following these procedures, we can create a positive classroom environment that will allow you the best opportunity to achieve your goals.
Entering the Classroom
- Enter the Classroom calmly, quietly, and respectfully, immediately getting your binder and taking your assigned seat. You should not be yelling, or running. This is a time to sharpen a pencil if needed.
Getting to Work Immediately
- Every day there will be a Bell Ringer assignment on the board, you are to sit in your assigned seat, taking out you binder as well as a writing utensil and quietly complete the assignment that is given
When you need a Pen or Pencil
- If you need to borrow a pen or pencil ask me as soon as you enter the room, I will furnish you with either a pen or pencil in exchange for you student id.
Turning in Homework
- Homework will either be graded in class or collected by the teacher at my request
Passing in Papers
- When I say “Pass in Papers”, all rows will pass their papers forward
- You are tardy if you are not in the room when the door closes. You will need a pass from a teacher to enter. Excessive tardiness will be dealt with through consequences
When you are Absent
- When you are absent, talk to me at the beginning of the class period to see what you missed. Excused Absent work will need to be turned in the following day for full credit. Unexcused absent work or late work will be initially penalized 30% and 10% for everyday after that it is late. For example if you turn in an assignment a day late the best you can get is an 70%, two days late the best is 60%, three days 50% and so on….
- Only 1 male or 1 female at a time during class, return to class immediately when finished
Asking a Question
- In this class we will hopefully have many discussions that arise from the content that we will go over from readings, projects, and notes to video clips. In order to allow all sides to be heard, we must RAISE OUR HANDS and wait to be called on if you want to speak. Be respectful towards your neighbors and listen to what they have to say, it may add to your point of view.
End of Period Dismissal
- Students will dismiss WHEN I SAY CLASS IS OVER. Until that point, students will remain in their assigned seats. When I dismiss you, you will leave the room in the same appropriate and respectful manner that you entered the room.
Use of Cell Phone or Electronic Device
- We will be using Cell Phones and other electronic devices in class, however any unauthorized use of electronic devices will be dealt with through consequences
Any Deviations from these Procedures may result in a Consequence.
· Binder Guidelines: US History
o It is required that each student builds a binder over the course of the term. You will be responsible to include all materials distributed in class, including handouts, tests, quizzes, and assignments. Points will be given for completion and organization. The binder will be collected and graded four times during the term. Each check is worth 50 points.
o What's needed?
€ 1 1/2"-2" Binder in good condition
€ College Ruled loose leaf paper
€ Index dividers with label slots- you need 5 - they are usually come five in a package.
€ Blue or black pen
€ #2 pencil
· Section descriptions and organization guidelines Opening (Before any dividers / right as you open the cover
· Bell Ringer divider
Units of Study · Notes from the Unit
· Handouts / Homework Assignments
· Tests / Quizzes
MCHS Guide to Citing Source
Late Homework Policy
Assignments that are not turned in on time will receive a 70% Maximum score and a 10% reduction in the score everyday that the assignment is late. The only exception to the policy is an excused absence. All late homework from the chapter is due the day of the test or it is a zero. No Exceptions!
100-92 = A
91 – 83 = B
82 – 74 = C
73 – 65 = D
64 – Below = F
Grades in this class will be from the perspective of Total Points between the following
Daily Tentative Schedule
CNN Student News
Bell Ringer Assignment
Recap previous lesson
Intro next lesson/Assignment/Journal
(Daily schedule is subject to change depending on the material being covered)
In this class it is my hope that we can create an intellectually safe environment where we can share our opinions and ideas without feeling outside pressures. As I have said before I would like to teach this class from the perspective of doing rather than just listening. It is my hope that I can give you the opportunity to make this a great class with as much discussion and learning as possible.
Mr. Anderson Contact Information
Phone: 815-942-1294 ext. 5224